Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Orson Welles was right

Late in life Orson Welles said, "There's something you can say every day now, nothing is as good as it was years ago." Certainly not airlines and airports. I can remember flying Concorde in perfect luxury and nobody made me take my shoes off or frisk me. Certainly not television which is dumb reality shows. As Johnny Carson once said to Ed McMahon, "Those hard working geniuses have come up with Bowling For Fish. Certainly not restaurants. I've having to send back more and more dishes that are downright lousy and tasteless. Certainly not our politics where a hick on a high wire like Sarah Palin can actually say she's a candidate for President. Welles also said, "I started at the top and worked my way down". I hope that doesn't include our country.

1 comment:

  1. I am sure Conan O'Brian would agree with this observation...starting at the top and working his way down, at least with Millions to show for it. Speaking of airports and travel, Marisa said (on our last flight leaving Europe) - wow, we are here 3 hours early and no one is here at the ticket counter for more than an hour...baggage fees, pat downs, shoes off, shoes on, show your passport 3-4 times... Pretty soon no one will want to go anywhere again. - D

    ReplyDelete