Monday, August 8, 2011

Double, double, toil and trouble


The D words are here, and I don’t mean the ones Cole Porter used like Delectable, and Delovely. I mean debt, default, downgrade and that old standby, deficit.
Our leaders, those doofuses and Masters of the Diatribe, have talked us into a fine mess, as Hardy kept reminding Laurel.
These dodos have even sent the Dow plunging down. They must feel so patriotic. They’re probably comparing themselves to Nathan Hale only they’re saying: “I regret that I only have one country to give for my life”. Maybe we can’t get a New Deal out of this bunch but surely we can get a better deal. We need an economic DDay where a vast army of doers storm Washington to give a victory to the people. There is a sad little song for today with a chorus that goes like this: “I’m aware my heart is a sad affair, there’s much disillusion there, but I can dream, can’t I?” Dream on McDuff, dream on.

No comments:

Post a Comment