Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Advertising brave enough to be great

The Super Bowl commercial for Chrysler called ‘Half-time in America’ starring Clint Eastwood, resurrects the art of copy and artful production into a historic message. I congratulate Wieden & Kennedy for avoiding the sophomoric, egotistical, pointless special effects that make up the incompetent nonsense called the Super Bowl commercial. This message continues in the tradition of a print ad of 100 years ago called “The Penalty of Leadership” for Cadillac, considered iconic by ad men who know their history. Actually I applaud all things Detroit since I worked there for over 4 years. I can’t claim to have ever done anything great but I always tried. GM wanted a hard hitting driver safety ad so I did one called ‘ Onward Christian Drivers’. After much review the finished ad said; ‘Drive safely” I’m proud of doing the first James Bond commercial and the best read ad by men in England. I never had $30 million plus to do “Half-time” but the money was well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment