Friday, August 10, 2012

The greatest race never run.

I could have gone to the 1948 Olympics in London when I was 13. I don't say I was Bob Mathias or Emil Zatopec but I ran my kind of race. I could probably be in the 2012 Olympics in London even though I'm 77. Unfortunately my event has never been sanctioned by the sanctimonious. arrogant elites that run the IOC. I'm referring to The Three-Legged Dash. You know, the one where they tie the inner legs of two people together and send them hopping off to the finish line. Today's Olympics are a television event or how would you describe beach blanket bikini volleyball, BMX motorcycle races and synchronized swimming, diving, schlepping? Even the time-honored Triple Jump seems like a form of aggressive hopscotch. I don't say they have to go as far as the Monty Python group that put on women's clothes for Drag Racing, but there has to be something for the non-steroid viewer. It's all politics,isn't it? Backroom arm twisting and blackmail. Greece is bankrupt and so is the Olympic Committee. In Orwell's “Animal Farm” the motto of the triumphant animals over the farmers was “Two legs bad, four legs good”. Well, I say, “Two legs boring, three legs thrilling”.

No comments:

Post a Comment