Friday, June 5, 2009

The best investment decision you can make today

Here it is: invest in yourself. This is an economic theory I got from a professor in Toronto in 1962. And it worked. While all the other up and coming young men were buying mutual funds and bonds and penny stock from other young up and comers I was buying my wife her first dishwasher, new furniture, toys for the kids, books a car and other real goods. I may not have had a portfolio but I had things I could use everyday and was not going to be bamboozled (that great transitive verb from the 18th century). I've pretty well stuck to this theory and missed the Lehman Bros and AIG debacles. I even know a wealthy woman and her son who both lost $3 million in AIG. That could have bought a lot of cakes and ale. I'm still surprised to see the ads and commercials for the brokerages as if nothing has changed. There is one good headline for Bessemer Trust that states,"Why should you believe anything we say?" And in a reverse Churchillian line, "Rarely in history have so many been so violated by so few." As George Soros says, under no circumstances believe that your broker is your friend. I hate to resort to Ayn Rand for wisdom but she was correct when said, "You must reach your own conclusions". So, it's your money and your life. Enjoy them both. For all his economic wisdom, John Maynard Keynes last words were, "I should have ordered more champagne."

No comments:

Post a Comment