Monday, May 17, 2010

On turning 75

My 75th birthday was May 8th. There it was, a number, 3/4 of a century and plenty of shock and awe. I celebrated it in the Bay Area at my wife's 60th high school reunion.
Where did all these old people come from? And to rub it in,all of them have their high school yearbook pictures in a little badge on a string around their necks. At least we've all had a lifetime of experiences, full of the innumerable people you meet along the way. Of course the next 75 years won't be as easy. My favorite birthday memory comes from May 8, 1945 VE Day, one of the most joyous days of my life, riding around in an open car up and down Jasper Ave. in Edmonton, Alberta. The beast was dead at last but of course so were the millions who perished including many members of my family. When you're my age you have plenty of bittersweet memories as well. Shto za zhizn as we say in Russian: What a life!

No comments:

Post a Comment