Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Midnight in Paris

Woody Allen has paid a beautiful homage to the loveliest city in the world. Like “Manhattan”, the opening scenes are ravishing and like all his films there is a jazz score, this time Sidney Bechet, and later Django-inspired playing. The first time I saw Paris I was stunned by the beauty of the bridges, the avenues, the galleries and the whole sensual atmosphere of the place. I took my two kids there for New Years--first stop The Eiffel Tower. I worked on an advertising project there for a week and ended up drinking too much and falling asleep on the Metro. When I woke up the car was in the barn and I had to tiptoe over the live rails to get out. And there were numerous other trips, the last time with my two English pals Bob and Steve, who liked to drink and make merry till all hours. They sent me home in a cab at 3 a.m. Actually it doesn’t matter if it’s midnight or noon or any hour of the day, it’s the most marvelous place in the world. If you’ve been you know what I’m talking about and if you haven’t you must put it on your bucket list. Then, as they do in “Casablanca”, you’ll be able to say: ‘We’ll always have Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment