Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Why I'd like Obama to make a Christmas album

There are two reasons: 1. We are at war and the best Christmas songs were written during WWII. I'm dreaming of a white christmas, I'll be home for Christmas, Have yourself a merry little christmas. All express the poignance of troops far away and a home front longing for them to come back. At a restaurant last week I saw the hostess, a small, poor, innocent young woman staring into space and singing along softly with "Winter Wonderland". She was from the Phillipines, a place that war came to with a vengeance. 2. We need a unifying voice like Bing Crosby was in WWII. The most heard voice in the world it was claimed. Even the Germans called him "Der Bingle". Of course no such recording session will take place and we will go on fighting and dying just as before. I will be left to crack cynical jokes like I did yesterday at an Indian restaurant. A roving musician was singing "Silver Bells" and I told the hostess that it was an old Indian Christmas carol. She smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment