Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Could Einstein quarterback the Rams?

Maybe if he could do it all with a piece of chalk and a blackboard. Could Dan Marino do physics? Well, he could demonstrate motion and gravity by throwing a football.
My point is that we are all suited to our best talents. Of course we'd all like to be Einstein and Marino in the same body or Marilyn Monroe and Susan Sontag in the same sexy dress. I once thought I could master any subject when I was at Berkeley. Only the string of D's and F's proved me wrong. So I let the B's and A's guide me even if it was in Russian, Rugby or Strindberg. There is a character in Saul Bellow's "The Adventures of Augie March" who is not well-eduated but is a math genius. As he says, "Either it comes easy or it doesn't come at all." Shto za zhzin. (What a life)

No comments:

Post a Comment