Friday, April 3, 2009

Technology has no destination

Whatever gizmo you buy today will soon be obsolete. Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow creeps in this petty pace from laptop to cell phone to CD. This is not clean drinking water which is an end in itself. I first met this face to face when I wanted to trade in my perfectly good 35mm camera. Not worth a thing the man said. My Polaroid? Not making the film anymore. Records, LP's , 8 tracks, yes even iPods will be in the museum someday soon. What to do? Nothing, as in do nothing if you can live without the latest gadgets. Radio, the 20th century marvel still works. But one of the funniest lines I ever heard was on the old Fred Allen radio show when he asked Titus Moody, the flinty Yankee how come there was no radio in the house and Titus said, "I don't hold with furniture that talks". OK the telephone and the movies that we know may go and we all know that our love is here to stay. I'm not here to scorn progress so by all means check
out what science is willing to provide us. I cheer them on. Who knows, some guys somewhere are perfecting a way to fax us a cold beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment